Monday, January 30, 2012

Poignant Transit

Since my return to the scholastic world, I have been frequenting the local public transit. This has many advantages. It eliminates the concern for traffic issues along my commute, I can occasionally kick my feet back and relax, and I'm able to use the time to finish my numerous reading assignments. Aside from these benefits, my favorite part of commuting this way is the opportunities for observation.

I am endlessly fascinated by what I witness as I pass through each community along my nearly 90 minute ride. I never know what I am going to see. Sometimes it's educational, or inspiring. It can also be entertaining, perplexing, irritating, or downright appalling.

Lately, I've noticed a consistent theme of concerning issues. There's nearly always a troubled child and piss-poor parent combination. There's frequently some defiant and deviant teens who lack both volume control and personal filters. Then there's the ever-present drug addicts, the tired and worn-out working class, and the clueless retail shoppers.

Most people are buried in an electronic device; dead to the outside world. They barely notice the other people crowding the aisle and sharing their leg space. Blank stares and oblivious expressions abound while children beg for attention. I see toddlers repeatedly ask unanswered questions, indiscriminate youth climb over seats like a jungle gym, and  incredibly young-looking adolescents loudly discuss their illicit drug use and premature sex lives.

Add to that the hacking and wheezing homeless and the vacant and fatigued proletariat, and the scene becomes overwhelmingly depressing. The despair is magnified as they step around litter piles, bypass the displays of poverty, and ignore the various levels of suffering surrounding them en route to their destinations.

Maybe the season and the time of day are to blame. Overcast skies and short days can impact anyone's mood.  Whatever it is it's too much. I'm ready for the ride to be entertaining again.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mindy, I just came across your thread on the forum and I think that maybe the friend who told you that your blog wasn't any good, may be a wee bit jealous of your blogging capabilities.

    From the posts I've read so far, your blog is funny, amusing and insightful.

    Just keep doing what you've been doing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lily! That is really good to hear. I appreciate you taking the time to check it out.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...