Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Time

Having come down with something, I took today off from work.  With no responsibilities other than to improve my well-being, I slept in until 11am. I then got up, and planted myself on the couch.  I laid there, watching tv, and falling in and out of consciousness all day.  (I'm pretty sure I took two naps). With all that rest in my body, all I can think about is time.

In the last year, it seems like something shifted, and there's no more time any longer.  My New Year's resolution was to finally begin reading for fun. Since grad school was over and I'd gotten into a routine at work, it seemed that there was finally time to read for pleasure.  Well, I've been slowly chipping away at the same piece of KidLit since then.  I have a to do list in my brain a mile long.  Every time I think I'm close to completing it, another life changing thing adds on to it.  It just seems that there's no time for it to ever be complete

Don't get me wrong, I love my life.  I'm pretty freaking happy with how things are evolving, but that's just the thing!  My world is constantly evolving and changing, and at some point in the last year it picked up the pace. Suddenly, I can't keep up with it.  As I try to, I'm reminded of all the time I've lost track of.

Growing up is a process that we so often forget to observe.  We get so easily drawn up into the drama of daily life.  Before we know it we are rushed down a stream of bill paying, dish washing disputes, un-laundered clothes, car payments, and broken headlights.  We get bogged down by the necessities of the holidays, and planning the traditional milestones of our lives that we don't even allow ourselves to notice the time passing by. 

Today was perhaps the first in months that I have allowed myself to lay in silence and savor the time.  Congested and achey, I provided myself with a long overdue stillness to appreciate the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...