Monday, March 19, 2012

Say What?

Just for fun, here's a list of things people say that irritate the bejezus out if me.

"EX-pecially"
     The word is spelled E-S-P-E-C-I-A-L-L-Y. Figure it out.

Preempting an inquiry with the phrase "I have a question."
     It's just unnecessary. Everyone knows you have a question because either a) its a didactic setting and you've indicated your intent through use of the culturally normative arm raise or b) YOU'RE ASKING A QUESTION! Stop wasting everyone's time being ridiculous and get to the friggin' point already.

Misuse of the word "literally"
     Oh really? You were so scared that you literally pissed your pants? How embarrassing for you.
     Did your brain actually fall out of your head and roll away? No? Then you didn't literally lose your mind.
     Here's a trick: Mentally picture a scenario in which what you just said actually happens. Does it seem implausible or absurd? Then you probably meant to say figuratively. If you can't figure it out, then just don't say that part of it. See, watch how I do it: "Dude, I was so scared." Notice how I didn't add the gross image at the end? Lock it up.

"And such as/what not/so forth...you know?"
     Um... no. I don't. Do you? Because you haven't really said a damn thing. So much of what you just said was comprised of filler that it was entirely devoid of substance and actual meaning. You lost me at your first incomplete sentence when you just assumed it was clear where you were going. Then you followed it up with about eight more of those beauties. Now, I'm not even sure what the original topic was. My head hurts, and I want you to shut up, but you're not going to until I indicate that I do in fact know. So now I'm nodding. Stop making me nod.

"I don't believe in that"
     Listen, I understand that you're a vegan, but what do you mean you don't believe in eating animal products?  It's a thing. People actually do this. Also, what are you getting at when you say you don't believe in Alcoholics Anonymous? You know it exists right? Like, it's really out there. How can you not believe in something that's real and accessible? You must be trying to say that you don't support it, or that you don't agree with it. Unless, of course you're completely out of touch with reality. If that's the case, there's more going on here than your views on social justice. You should probably see a doctor. Unless...maybe you don't believe in them either.  I guess you could consult something less mythological, perhaps a sorcerer?

"I was gonna say..."
     Yeah, no you weren't, because you didn't. Maybe you intend to say it now? I'm not even really sure.
     What exactly is the point in this phrase? It's past tense, indicating you have not said it. However, it also seems to imply that you have changed your mind and decided not to say whatever it was. And yet, it's nearly always followed by the thing you supposedly elected not to share. Here's an idea, quit putzing around with all that needless build up and JUST SAY IT ALREADY!

4 comments:

  1. I think many times people say things like this because it's habit and they don't even realize the actual meanings--it essentially becomes an idiom, figurative in meaning because of its common usage (no longer literal, for them at least). Wanted to play devil's advocate on this. I really enjoy your postings and your rants. Reading this also makes me feel the need to defend the other side too. I think it's probably because I have been on the other side :) Also the pronunciation of words such as "especially" may be in part a cultural or regional thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely have an awareness and understanding of the cultural and linguistic contributions to these idioms. Though this post may not indicate it, I have a great deal of patience for the use of the above phrases. In fact, I myself have been guilty of a few in the past. However, I am also aware that the manner in which we speak (including the words we use) has a profoundly reinforcing effect on our own neurological development. For all intents and purposes, the way we talk changes our brain. For this reason, I encourage all people to put a little more effort into their speech.

      Thank you for reading this, and your comment as well. I'm always happy to endorse a devil's advocate comment. That's how perspectives expand.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...