Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Forehead Kiss

Location: My Apartment
Mood: Longing

What is it about the forehead kiss? It's heart warming really. It's the only kind of kiss that lets you know the kisser truly cares about you. Sure, anyone can kiss you on the forehead, and there's nothing particularly intimate about that section of flesh. But, for some reason, when someone kisses you right there, above your nose and in between your eyes, it seems to expose their true feelings for you.

It doesn't always have to be in a romantic setting. My dad kisses me on the forehead occasionally, and when that happens I know that he's proud to be my dad. I have a male friend who smooches my temple from time to time. Granted, this would be odd if it happened frequently, but since it doesn't it's special. It let's me know that he is glad to be my friend.

That being said, I think the best forehead kiss is the romantic forehead kiss. It's been my favorite kiss from all of my previous boyfriends, but it hasn't been the same for each of them. It's an individualized embrace.

I had one boyfriend that did it frequently. When this occurred it was innocent, and affectionate. This boyfriend and I broke up, but we remained close friends. He no longer kisses my forehead. However, when I look back upon a time that he did I'm not surprised that our amorous relationship did not last. The kiss on the tip of my face foretold our future as life long friends who care deeply for one another.

My second serious boyfriend often kissed me on the top of my head. When he did I felt this strong bond to him. I couldn't help but smile. Even now, I remember that experience fondly. The memory gives me a warm sensation behind my eyes and a tingling feeling in my stomach just as strong as if it were still happening. At the time, it was my favorite thing in the world. I couldn't get enough of it, and I even went so far as to ask him to do it (calling it a kiss "betwix my ojos") It was an intense feeling. Ultimately, that's how our relationship was. Intense. It ended with me begging for more, and not appreciating the sporadic specialness of a random peck.

Through the years various people have kissed my forehead, and retrospectively each kiss has indicated the nature of our relationship. A kiss on the forehead is brief, but will tell you if someone admires you, or is amused by you. A forehead kiss can even tell you if, in some way, the kisser looks down on you with a level of condescension. This gentle kiss between your eyes can even allow you to evaluate whether you reciprocate the same level of emotion or intimacy as the kisser.

Really, it's the best kind of kiss, and I wish you all one very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...