Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Blessings from Beyond

Before I tell you this story I must provide a caveat.  You need to know that I would not classify myself as religious, or spiritual in any way.  I don't really put much stock in "signs," ghosts, angels, or a higher power.  I'm not saying that this stuff doesn't exist, but none of it really makes a whole lot of sense to me.  That being said, let me walk you through my last 24 hours or so, to bring you to an unexpected spiritual experience that has just occurred.

"Fort Awesome"
I had a final exam today. So, naturally I spent the entire day studying yesterday. Well, all except for for one brief break that involved a glass of wine and building a fort with a good friend.  -- Stop judging me.  It's a perfectly acceptable way for two grown adults to spend a Monday afternoon.--

Around 5pm, I came home to get some dinner before heading out to a  five hour study group.  When I arrived home, I found a note from my apartment manager explaining that they would be installing new cabinets and drawers the next day, and I was expected to have them all (kitchen and bathroom) emptied out by the morning.  This irritated me.  I know the policy is 24 hours notice before entry, but when it requires me to uproot my entire residence, I think it warrants at least considering an extra day notice. I mean...right?

Nevertheless, after riding my bike home (uphill, in the cold November air, carrying a 20lb backpack) at 11pm, I stayed up in order to empty out all my drawers and cabinets.

Today, I awoke to a developing sinus infection, which made navigating my morning routine amongst all of my items in boxes on the floor or strewn about on counter tops all the more bothersome.  It was a nuisance, and not an environment conducive to studying. In an attempt to avoid any unintentional cranky attitude with the nice cabinetry installers, I left for the day. I spent the day downtown studying in preparation for a test that I was sure to do poorly on.

Despite all those irritating circumstances, my day was actually quite lovely. The sun was shining (which is a rare occurrence for a Portland November). The air was crisp, and the trees were a delightful variety of fall colors.  All things I adore. I spent the morning and afternoon studying and giggling with a pair of lovely ladies.

Then came the exam, which was as highly stressful as I had expected it to be. However, on the MAX ride home, I took part in a cathartic debriefing that was beneficial to my mental well-being.

Before re-entering Portland city limits, I received an e-mail announcing that my score was available.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I had gotten an A!  This was entirely unexpected, as I my previous exam results in this class were...um....well...let's say: "less than great."

At this point, I had almost completely forgotten about the whole cabinet and drawer debacle. While I searched for my keys in the hallway outside my unit, I prepared myself for the headache of seeing my apartment in shambles over a cosmetic "upgrade" that was not needed.

Imagine my astonishment, when I encountered some very aesthetically pleasing new additions to my kitchen.  And...

...a few random items not belonging to me.  These were mostly throw-away items, like a receipt for Crate &  Barrel belonging to a previous tenant, a few unidentified ziploc bags, an old tag from an item of clothing which was probably also belonging to a previous resident...and this:

My initial thought at seeing this was, "how sweet, my apartment manager left me a birthday card." (FYI tomorrow is my birthday).  Then it occurred to me that this did not happen last year.  So, now I'm confused.  I then open it up to read this:

"My lovely Granddaughter - I think of you with much affection and love. Have a wonderful birthday. With my love and blessings, Grandma F."
Now, I'm utterly bewildered.  I swear to you, that is my late Grandma Francis's handwriting! I also promise you, that this card is exactly the type of card and message that I received from her every year of my life until I was 18.

The logical, grounded, agnostic in me is compelled to point out that obviously this coincidental. It was found amongst a pile of garbage, that had clearly been discovered while reinstalling the cabinets and drawers.  It means nothing.  For goodness sake, it was included with a receipt to a store I have never visited, some busted-up garbage ties, and a few wrinkly old ziploc bags!  It's nothing.

However, another part of me can't help but feel overcome with emotion.  I don't know what this means, but it seems like something. Is it a sign?  I mean, it's as if my deceased grandmother is here with me, and trying to tell me something.  I know that she wasn't, but I just can't shake feeling, like she visited my place today, and I just missed her.

Is that absurd?  Has anything like this ever happened to you?

2 comments:

  1. My mom and aunts have this thing where if they find a penny on the ground it means their mom (my grandmother)who passed away is with them. I think it started as something she told them as kids. They find pennies at the strangest times, it's pretty amazing! Like when all the sisters were doing a marathon together they found one on the pavement while waiting in the starting line. Or my aunt finding one on the floor of the church at her wedding. I wouldn't say that you missed her, just that she's watching over you from somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think that's a good way to look at it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...