Monday, May 21, 2012

The Advice That Never Stuck

Found here
The first joke I remember telling happened when I was very young. I couldn't have been older than five. I vaguely recall hearing it on my favorite show, but I don't even know what character said it. I honestly can't remember which of my felt friends shared this comedic gem with me, but I do remember thinking that it was amusing enough to share.

Not long after that, I was strapped up in the back seat of PeeWee, our family mini van. My dad drove while I yammered on about each and every thought that crossed my mind. Knowing me, I probably shared everything I observed from peering out my window, asked a few questions about the nature of the world (seriously), and described the dramatically complex life of my invisible friend Little Min (I'm telling you that girl should have had her own blog). After ignoring my father's sarcastic comments (likely intended to teach me the conversational art of filtering) and only partially absorbing his developmentally advanced scientific answers to my queires, I finally saw my chance.
"Hey Dad," I called out.
"You don't have to say that every time," he responded. "I'm right here."
"Why did the chicken cross the playground?" I asked, unfazed by his remark.
"Why?"
"To get to the other slide!"

*Rimshot.*
*Pause for raucous laughter*

No, but seriously now... I obviously didn't split anyone's sides with this witty and inventive play on words. However, I did make my dad smirk, and I'll never forget his response.
"That's pretty good Min," he commended me. "Where did you learn that?"
"Sesame St," I replied honestly.
"That's great, but next time someone asks you that, tell them you made it up yourself."
My precocious little brain was completely bewildered by this advice. I know I understood the point, because I remember thinking that it would be more impressive if I had made it up myself. Nevertheless, I couldn't reconcile that thought with my need to tell the truth. In fact, the very next time I told this joke, I voluntarily admitted everything.

"My dad says I should tell you I made that up," I explained. "But I really just heard it on Sesame St."

I just couldn't do it. I could not take credit for another person's work. It felt wrong. Still does. To this day, whenever I tell that joke (and you'd be surprised how often that is), I follow it up with this back story. Although, despite the contradictory logic, I somehow think I got the right message. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...