Monday, May 28, 2012

Who Am I?

Who am I to think I can help people?

Found here
I have lived a fairly sheltered life safely swaddled in my privileged middle class bubble. What I know of this complex world is derived innocently from books, movies, and secondhand stories. I don’t have life experiences that allow me to speak to the very real and significant struggles that many, if not most, people go through. 

I have been widely loved and supported throughout my life. People have encouraged, valued, and believed in me. I have been consistently lifted up, respected, and handed opportunities. The only person to ever doubt my worth or skills has been me. I am the only one who has ever kept me from anything.

In my life, I have always been afforded the luxury of choice. I could go anywhere or do anything. I have been able to choose to stay back or move on. I could be or do anything I wanted. My only real difficulties emerged from this overwhelming sense of obligation to select my own path.

Without completely invalidating my own difficulties in this world, I think it’s fair to say that I’ve been incredibly lucky. No external source has ever pushed me down, blocked my path, or made me feel defeated. I have never had to overcome a source seemingly more powerful than myself. Thus far I have avoided trauma, loss, and oppression. I have not experienced the crippling effects of poverty, or the fear and isolation that results from a lack of trust in those around me.

What do I know about any of that? How does that knowledge enable me to improve a lifestyle I don’t understand? Who am I to think I can help these people?

2 comments:

  1. I have become more understanding of others by experiencing situations that have challenged me. Not saying you should go broke or intentionally suffer a loss. Makes life more relative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that definitely gives me some good perspective. Thank you David! And thanks for reading it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...