Monday, June 18, 2012

My Controversial Musings

Found here
I think sometimes when people say that they are all about diversity they mean to say that they are all about minorities and oppressed populations. If that's true, that's great! Those groups absolutely need someone to stand up for them. They need people to be their champion, and to make sure that they are equally included in this world dominated by the privileged masses.

But, let's be real. If that's what you're doing, you are not actually promoting inclusion. The diversity movement, at least as I understand it, is about incorporating everybody. After all, the word literally means variety. So, regardless of your reason, if you shut out a person from any one particular group you are decreasing the variety and therefore the diversification of your own movement. When you favor one group over another, even if it's the disadvantaged, you are merely replicating the same discrimination you seek to eradicate.

For the record, I am aware this is a controversial view. I'm also aware that this might sound like I'm advocating to extend the privilege of the groups with social power (and therefore my own). This is not my intent. I am merely noticing a discrepancy between the ideology of many (not all) proponents of diversity groups, and the actual intent. Maybe I'm too literal, but I believe that a truly diverse group of people would be all inclusive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...