Monday, July 9, 2012

Too Close For Comfort

Found here
I'm starting to pay attention to my own behaviors and means of interacting with others in order to gain insight into how they might affect each other. I'm starting to see how certain words, a specific tone, and innocent gestures can be perceived by others. This is great! Much like the first step to solving your problem is acknowleging you have one, the first part of any change process is noticing it in your own life.
So, I'm noticing myself in interactions. I'm paying attention to my own beliefs and learning about my values and how they can be expressed in an impactful way. As I do this, I'm also observing others. I'm seeing when they have their own self-awareness, but more frequently I'm seeing when they do not.

With all this awareness, I'm learning that I just want more. I want to be completely self-aware. I don't think who I am and who I seem to be are always the same person, and I want to know both of them. I want to completely explore my internal perceptions and beliefs as well as my external presentation.

However, based on my observations of others, I'm not convinced this is possible. Everyone seems to have a certain degree of self presentation that they are unaware of. Just like with sight, I think we  have a self- blind spot. There will always be things about ourselves that, because of our vantage point, we cannot see. No matter how hard we look, and I guess it's time for me to come to grips with hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...