Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Two Trees

UPDATE: February2010

Upon review, I've realized that it's necessary to site my source on this one. This was a writing exercise I did after viewing the movie Wrist Cutters: A Love Story. This story was told during one of the scenes. I liked it so much that I was afraid I might some day forget it. This was my attempt to remember it the next day.
Location: Home
Mood: mellow

     There’s this forest somewhere, and in this forest there are two trees. Actually, there are many trees, because it’s a forest, but these two stand out. They have an interesting relationship.
     One tree is tall, strong, and grows perfectly straight. The other tree is crooked, and very aware of it. The crooked tree envies the straight tree. Often it thinks to itself, “that straight tree is so beautiful. I wish I could grow straight like that tree.”
     The straight tree knows about this. It taunts the crooked one.
It says, “look at me, I’m so straight, and strong. I’m perfect. I bet you wish you could be straight like me.  Too bad you’re crooked”
     Then one day a bunch of loggers came traipsing into the forest. They looked around at all the trees around them. The boss looked at the perfectly straight tree, and finally he spoke. He said “cut down all the straight ones and we’ll take them back. They’re perfect.” And so the loggers did just that.
     They left only a few trees, including the crooked one, and it stands there to this day. Crooked as the day is long, but tall, thick, and strong. The tree just smiles to itself because it knows that its imperfections saved its life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...