Thursday, March 24, 2011

Describing My Outlook

Location: Yoga Studio
Mood: Contemplative

I'm learning new things about myself each and every day. Lately I've been learning that I love when something has a simplistic beauty about it.

In my Yin class tonight, the instructor recited poetry while we meditated. I never thought I would be much for this. In fact, I mentally resisted it for a while. A lot of it seemed too... (what's the word?) ...carefree for me. However, at one point she was reciting a poem, and I was internally mocking the experience. I know, I shouldn't be that way, because it is profoundly supportive for some. It just tends not to be for myself. Anyway, she's reciting this poem, and for some reason one of the stanzas pulled me out of my mental block and spun me on my axis. The stanza was:

"Union can't be forced,
won't be one by fighting."

I believe the original intent, was for us to think of this in terms of our body struggling with the pose. However, It rang true for me, and as I thought about it the stanza resounded. It is deeply simple, yet truthfully beautiful. Also, it's interpretation extends to a wide variety of circumstances. For me it, gave words to my previously indescribable outlook on a number of situations in my life. In some, the interpretation is surprisingly literal, and in others it continues to be accurate in a metaphorical sense.

I was unaware of it, but this is how I wish everyone felt. I'm not about persuading people to want what they don't, or converting them to believe what they can't. I think disagreements are a necessary part of life, but fighting back never fully solves an issue. It will cause a rift in relationships that, while it may heal, will always leave a scar.

I wish people in my world, and the world beyond it could learn to coexist with their difference. I'm not expecting people to embrace each other for being dissimilar, but acceptance would be ideal. Currently I'm attempting to learn that what's important to me may not be important to others, and vice versa, and accept it. There is so much in this world that we don't know. It's easy to get wrapped up in ourselves and forget that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...